Women’s lacrosse off to fast start in 2012

A balanced scoring attack propelled the AU women’s lacrosse team to a 16-10 victory over Old Dominion University March 3 at Jacobs Field.

The win marks the first time the Eagles have started a season 3-1 since 1999, when AU finished 9-7 overall and 1-5 in conference play while part of the Colonial Athletic Association.

Bernadette Maher led the way for AU (3-1, 0-0 PL) with three goals after missing the previous two games. Five Eagles scored twice on the afternoon, while three picked up one goal.

Rebecca Reymann and Emily Austerberry guided the Monarchs (1-1, 0-0 CAA) with two goals each, while six players tallied one score.

The Eagles used a key second-half run to pick up their third victory of the season and end their four-game homestand on a high note.

Leading 8-5 at halftime, AU scored seven of the game’s next eight goals to take a commanding 15-6 lead with 11 minutes remaining. Maher and Paige Lin scored twice during the spurt that secured the victory for the Eagles.

The Monarchs outscored the Eagles 4-1 late in the second half, resulting in the 16-10 AU final.

The Eagles have been outscored 10-3 in the last seven minutes of the past four games, but have built big enough cushions in three of them to coast to victory.

After letting up the game’s first goal, the Eagles scored the next four to hold a 4-1 advantage midway through the first half.

Emily Burton scored twice in that stretch and Kimberly Collins scored once, as the junior tandem continues to sit atop the team leaders in goals scored. Burton leads the team with 13 goals, while Collins has 10. The duo has combined for 43 percent of AU’s offense this year.

The Monarchs fought their way back into the game, evening the score at 4-4 following the second of back-to-back goals from Austerberry. Once Reymann’s goal made it 6-5 AU with three minutes until halftime, the Eagles turned it on.

Lauren Schoenberger and Emily Maher recorded goals before halftime, and the Eagles opened the second stanza on the critical 7-1 run that opened up a nine-goal lead at 15-6.

While Maher paced the offense, Emily Stankiewicz headlined the AU defense by picking up two ground balls and forcing two turnovers. Kaska Komosinski made seven saves in 60 minutes in goal to pick up the win.

The Eagles will be on the road for their next three games, starting with a March 7 match at Virginia Tech. Patriot League play begins March 10 at Holy Cross.

ttomea@theeagleonline.com