Today@AU gets new Web-based format

Today@AU is getting a technological makeover.

The new format will still be sent out in an email and will be viewable online. The look will be similar to the old version, but the technology will be Web-based instead of email-based.

The redesign will launch March 9.

“This is a workflow that’s more efficient and streamlined,” Maralee Csellar said, associate director of Media Relations.

Submitters will now be able to choose a target audience from students, alumni, parents, faculty, staff or all, Director of Web Communications Barbara Emshwiller said, who works for University Communications and Marketing.

Users will see the announcements that are most relevant to them when they log onto their my.AU portal. All Today@AU announcements were previously viewable to everyone.

People will still be able to view all of the announcements by clicking the “digest” button on the left-hand navigation bar in the portal.

Submitters will also be able to request that their announcements run for up to seven days, according to the memo.

Other changes in the new system include: the option to submit an announcement that targets a specific part of the AU community, longer posting time frames and the option to view announcements from previous days, according a March 2 memorandum from UCM and the Office of Information Technology.

The submission form has also changed, including an addition of dropdown menus to determine the announcement’s category to make the approval process more streamlined and further specify to whom each announcement is directed.

The current process for creating a Today@AU entry includes submitting an announcement through my.AU, which is then sent to UCM for approval. E-News Coordinator for University Publications Suzanne Bechamps edits and assembles the announcements into the email that is delivered to the AU community each morning.

“It’s been like this for 10 years,” Emshwiller said. “It’s somewhat of an outdated tool.”

Daily Today@AU emails will continue to be sent out to the entire AU community until the implementation of a system that will let one choose to opt in or out of a Today@AU RSS feed, according to the memo.

“We’re going to continue to push it out through email as well,” Emshwiller said.

March 2 was the last day to submit Today@AU’s before the relaunch, and March 5 was the last day of the old Today@AU format. There will be no Today@AU’s from March 6-8 until the new format goes live March 9.

“I think the decision to make it an Web-based platform is a really good idea,” said Peter Namie, a sophomore in the School of International Studies.

Other students expressed a similar sentiment.

“I’ve had trouble submitting announcements in the past so I’m glad they’re making it easier and that I will be able to track the progress of my announcements online,” said Nellie Mitchell, a sophomore in the College of Arts and Sciences.

rzisser@theeagleonline.com