No. 13 Georgetown takes down Eagles, 17-11

The AU women’s lacrosse team entered Tuesday on a three-game winning streak. No. 13 Georgetown University prevented the Eagles from extending it to four.

Propelled by a key 4-0 stretch to open the second half, the Hoyas defeated the Eagles 17-11 March 27 at Multi-Sport Field in Washington.

The Eagles took an early 3-1 lead seven minutes into the game following goals from Samantha Marshall, Kimberly Collins and Emily Burton. But Georgetown quickly responded, scoring seven unanswered goals in a 12-minute span to hold a 10-3 advantage.

After falling behind in the first half, the Eagles (6-5, 2-1 PL) notched three straight goals to fight their way back into the game. Lauren Schoenberger started the run, and Paige Lin followed with two goals to cut the Georgetown lead to 10-6 with less than four minutes until halftime.

After Kelsi Bozel made it 11-6 Hoyas (5-4, 1-1 Big East), it was Lin again who came through for AU to answer Georgetown’s score. Then, with 37 seconds left until halftime, Jamie Silverman connected on a goal to slice Georgetown’s lead to 11-8.

The three-goal deficit was the closest the Eagles had been to Georgetown in nearly 15 minutes, and gave AU the momentum heading into halftime.

But, like all good teams do, the Hoyas snatched that momentum right back when play restarted.

In the first five minutes of the second half, Georgetown knocked home four consecutive goals to put what was previously a competitive game out of reach.

The two teams exchanged scores over the game’s final 25 minutes, resulting in the 17-11 Georgetown victory.

Kelsi Bozel led the way for the Hoyas with a game-high four goals. She was aided by teammates Caroline Tarzian and Kristen Coleman, who each tallied three scores.

Lin and Burton paced AU with three goals apiece, while Collins (one goal) was held in check for the game.

The defensive standouts from the contest were Laura Dawson and Megan Marinelli, who each caused three turnovers for the Eagles and Hoyas, respectively.

Barb Black (10 saves, 11 goals against in 60 minutes) picked up the win in goal for Georgetown, while Kaska Komosinski (6 saves, 17 goals against in 60 minutes) was saddled with the loss.

AU will now turn its attention back to Patriot League play, with Lehigh University coming to Jacobs Field March 31. The Mountain Hawks are tied for second place in the conference with a 2-1 PL record and a 6-5 record overall.

ttomea@theeagleonline.com