Meet your SG Presidential Candidates

Abby Finn

SPA 2014

Hometown: Westville, Ohio

Activities: Class of 2014 Senator, AEPhi Sorority

Finn sees the role of SG president as one that is both fun and professional. She plans to bring enthusiasm and passion to the role.

“I think the role of the Student Government president is to be that voice for students, especially to the administration,” Finn said.

Finn said she feels students do not realize the opportunities they have in SG, although there is something for everyone. Finn said there are places for people with interests in communication, programming and finance, as well as a multitude of departments for student participation.

“I really want to bring in people [to SG] who do not always fill that cookie cutter role of SPA kids and SPA Leadership kids,” Finn said.

Finn said the University budget will be a main concern during this election cycle because administrators will be approving the next budget soon after elections.

She said her two strongest qualities are her willingness to talk to people and the support of her friends.

“I’m so willing to reach out and talk to people and I really want to hear what people have to say,” Finn said.

Emily Yu

SPA 2013

Hometown: Fairfax, Va.

Activities: SG Senator Class of 2014, Phi Mu Sorority, AU Veterans

Yu wants to help erase some of AU student debt if elected president.

She also advocates for inclusiveness within SG and increasing campus jobs for students.

Yu plans on creating a voice in SG for many groups that currently are silent.

“I really tackle issues that every student cares about and that affect every student,” Yu said.

She is advocating for a fixed tuition at AU, similar to that at George Washington University, as part of her campaign to help student debt.

She also plans to bring more job opportunities to campus for students by working with Human Resources to create more job fairs.

Yu currently sits on the Undergraduate Senate’s Special Committee of Finance as vice chair. As a senator she tackles issues of policy, student affairs and university military policy.

Yu said she believes SG needs to change its environment to become more helpful and proactive.

“So I guess the bigger point that I’m trying to make is just making Student Government more about advocacy and more about being proactively helpful to students,” she said.

Charles Merrick

CAS 2014

Hometown: Walton-on-Thames, U.K.

Activities: ATV, Rude Mechanicals, AU Episcopal-Anglican Campus Ministry

It’s no joke: Merrick wants to be the king of AU.

The self-described “global nomad” has every intention to transform the role of SG president to SG king if elected.

“I have a divine right to rule and I believe firmly in the fact that American University has strayed from its roots,” Merrick said.

Merrick said he believes most students are not voting in the elections, and the loss of their vote means they never have to worry about voting again.

In addition to changing SG president to SG king, Merrick aims to convert the SG Senate to SG Parliament, air BBC shows in the Tavern and change the name of AU to the British University of Washington, D.C.

Merrick wants to make attendance at SG events mandatory for all students because he has seen poor attendance at SG events in the past.

Deon Jones

SPA 2014

Hometown: Atlanta, Ga.

Activities: Advisory Neighborhood Commission, Black Student Alliance, Disability Rights Coalition

ANC Commissioner Deon Jones will keep his ANC seat if elected SG president, Jones said in an email. He represents District 3D07.

AU Community Relations Director Peggy Pagano and Chief of Staff David Taylor told Jones there would not be conflict.

He plans to increase the diversity on campus, increase campus safety and bring more people into SG if elected.

“This is a campaign that is taking real action on real issues that we all care about, such as diversity, safety and making this campus a level playing field for all,” Jones said in an interview with The Eagle.

He believes that, even though past presidents have included diversity in their platforms, diversity on campus has not changed. If elected, Jones plans to attract more minority students and speakers by working with KPU and SUB, as well as talking at AU admissions events. He also plans to change the Ethnic and Cultural Coalition to include programming and advocacy.

“There are people who feel that we always talk about diversity, but never take real action on it, and I want to take real action on really diversifying this campus and diversifying student government,” Jones said.