Holy Cross caused problems for Sarah Kiely and AU in the PL semis.

Holy Cross stuns AU

All year long, the shots have been falling for the AU women’s basketball team. And then at the worst possible time, they weren’t.

The fifth-seeded Holy Cross Crusaders shocked the Eagles 67-52 in the Patriot League Semifinals March 5 at Bender Arena.

“I’m really disappointed for the players,” AU Head Coach Matt Corkery said. “I’m disappointed for our seniors especially. I think it’s a little bit of shock [and] a lot of disappointment for the players.”

Top-seeded AU entered the game as heavy favorites, after finishing 14-0 in PL play.

But a strong shooting night from Holy Cross, coupled with the shooting woes experienced by the Eagles (23-7, 14-0 PL), gave the Crusaders the shocking 15-point road victory.

Amy Lepley poured in a career-high 24 points to power the Crusaders (18-13, 7-7 PL), finishing 9-13 from the field and 3-5 from beyond the arc.

The Eagles contained Lepley in two previous meetings this season, but the Holy Cross junior joined her teammates in burying shots all night.

The Crusaders went 25-50 from the field and 7-14 from long range, controlling a game many thought the Eagles would win.

The Eagle offense was just the opposite, struggling to get anything going throughout the night and finishing 18-62 from the field and 5-25 from 3-point range.

“It’s hard to shoot with the same rhythm and not rush a little bit,” Corkery said, as his team trailed throughout the game. “You also have to give Holy Cross a lot of credit. They defended exceptionally well.”

The only AU player to reach double figures was Jen Dumiak, who led the Eagles with 11 points.

Lisa Strack battled through 31 minutes, but wasn’t her usual self. The Patriot League Player of the Year went 1-14 from the field and 0-3 from beyond the arc while fighting through a significant shoulder injury.

“She hurt her shoulder in practice, so she was not 100 percent,” Corkery said.

After Alexis Dobbs scored the game’s first basket for a 2-0 AU advantage, the Eagles never again held the lead.

Following Dobbs’ layup, AU missed its next six shots while the Crusaders raced to a 10-2 lead.

Holy Cross continued its hot shooting, taking a 20-10 lead midway through the first half after Meredith Ward’s 3-pointer.

At that moment, it seemed like there was plenty of time for the Eagles to make a run and claw back into the game. But Holy Cross never let up, and AU trailed by double digits from the 12:57 mark of the first half through the end of the game.

“I was ready for them to make a run, I just thought our kids executed,” Holy Cross Head Coach Bill Gibbons said. “Our kids played really hard and really tough.”

The Eagles trailed by 25 twice in the second half, and never came within 15 points.

Holy Cross will face the Navy Midshipmen for the Patriot League Championship March 10.

TTOMEA@theeagleonline.com