Halls continue to fight mice infestation

Complaints about mice have decreased significantly in Hughes Hall following several initiatives to reduce the hall’s mouse population, according to Stephanie DeStefano, AU’s grounds operation coordinator.

Hughes Hall residents have filed two 2-Fix reports regarding mice during the past week, DeStefano said.

In response to the rise in mouse complaints in Hughes during the fall semester, Facilities Management has completed several inspections of the building and closed several openings that mice had been using to enter the building, DeStefano said.

Facilities Management also trapped and baited mice in the ceilings, she said.

However, Facilities Management did receive a rise in mouse complaints between Feb. 8 and 10, according to a Feb. 6 memo sent to Hughes residents.

In response to the increase of mouse reports, Facilities Management completed another building inspection of Hughes to cover up additional openings.

However, Hughes residents continue to report mice sightings throughout the building.

Elyse Collat, a freshman in the Kogod School of Business, relocated to a different room in Hughes in early February after reporting 12 mouse sightings in her room. Collat said the majority of those sightings were before winter break, but she found several mice near her food in January.

Kelly Mertz, a freshman in the School of International Service, reported a mouse sighting in her room in late February.

Helen Brumley, a freshman in the College of Arts and Sciences, reported seeing two mice in the seventh floor lounge March 3.

Facilities Management plans to improve the mice situation in Hughes and other buildings around campus during future renovations.

Pest control contractors are coming to campus twice per week to continue monitoring and responding to the mouse situation, DeStefano said.

She also said mice problems have been reported across campus, not only in Hughes.

DeStefano recommended that students keep clutter to a minimum and store food in sealed plastic containers.

pburnett@theeagleonline.com