Women's lacrosse earns two exhibition victories, ready for 2012 season

The Eagles started off 2012 by picking up two exhibition victories Feb. 12 over the Wales National Team, 8-3, and Villanova University, 10-4.

Emily Burton scored three goals and Kimberly Collins found the back of the net twice, as the Eagles defeated Wales, who is currently in the middle of a U.S. tour.

In the second matchup of Sunday’s doubleheader, Collins led the way with three goals while Lauren Schoenberger added two.

Kaska Komosinski made a combined five saves in the two contests.

“The scrimmages went really well,” AU Assistant Coach Jackie Proch said. “It was definitely a positive reflection of the preseason and the work the girls put in.”

The Eagles will begin the regular season Feb. 18, when they play host to Davidson College.

Eagles picked fourth in Patriot League

The AU women’s lacrosse team will be looking to follow up its improvements the past two seasons with a strong 2012 campaign.

Last season’s winning record (9-8) was the team’s first in eight years. The Eagles finished 3-13 in 2009, 6-10 in 2010 and 9-8 in 2011.

“The girls, I think it really starts with them,” Proch said. “I think it really starts with their work ethic. They’re really buying into what we’re selling them.”

Last year’s season ended in heartbreaking fashion, when the team lost 15-14 in triple overtime in the Patriot League Tournament Semifinals.

AU led 13-11 in that contest with 11:28 remaining, before Colgate led the game at 14-14 with 3:02 left and won it in the third overtime session.

“I know Colgate’s a game the team has highlighted on their schedule,” Proch said.

Patriot League coaches and sports information directors selected Colgate second in the 2012 PL Preseason Poll and the Navy Midshipmen first with 12 of the 14 first-place votes. The Eagles were selected fourth for the second straight season.

The Eagles have a lot of firepower returning this season, as top scorers Bernadette Maher, Samantha Marshall and Collins all return from a year ago. Maher notched a team-high 35 goals last season, while Marshall added 31 and Collins connected on 30.

“It’s great returning your top scorers and impact players,” Proch said.

The return of the marquee players will help aid the development of the underclassmen, Proch said.

Komosinski returns in goal for the Eagles. The senior has made 26 starts in her AU career, including all 17 games from a season ago.

Two-time All-Patriot League selection Emily Stankiewicz returns to lead the defense after posting a team-high 43 ground balls and 26 caused turnovers.

ttomea@theeagleonline.com