Laura Dawson scooped up one ground ball as AU kicked off the 2012 campaign by defeating Davidson 12-6.

Three Eagles net three goals in women's lacrosse win

The AU women’s lacrosse team opened its 2012 season with a 12-6 victory over Davidson College Feb. 18 at Jacobs Field.

“The nerves were evident, but we were really able to turn it on in the second half,” AU Assistant Coach Jackie Proch said.

Lauren Schoenberger notched three goals and three assists, while Emily Maher and Emily Burton picked up three goals apiece to lead the Eagles (1-0, 0-0 PL) to the win.

“It’s great to have people that are reliable and consistent,” Proch said.

On the defensive side, Emily Stankiewicz scooped up three ground balls, while Kimberly Collins picked up two.

The Wildcats’ (0-1, 0-0 NLC) scoring came from three players, as Ann Fucigna, Erin Keitel and Emily Cooke each recorded two goals on the day.

The Eagles controlled the game from the start, scoring the first four goals of the contest 13 minutes into the first half.

Maher scored two goals during the stretch, while Schoenberger added one along with Burton.

AU led 6-1 following Burton’s third goal of the first half and took a 6-2 lead at halftime after the Wildcats scored 13 seconds before halftime.

Leading 6-3 early in the second half, the Eagles ripped off six straight goals to secure the victory. Schoenberger and Collins alternated scoring the first four goals of the run, with Maher and Bernadette Maher capping the 6-0 spurt.

Schoenberger contributed to four of the six goals, scoring two and assisting on two others.

“That’s the Scho we know,” Collins said. “She’s an amazing attacker and really dynamic.”

The Wildcats scored three goals over the game’s final six minutes for the 12-6 final.

The Eagles outshot Davidson 33-16 on the afternoon, and won 12 of 20 face-offs.

“We’ve been working hard for four weeks,” Collins said. “The hustle was there, even if we know our stick skills weren’t.”

The Eagles have had no trouble taking care of Davidson on the field. With the win, AU has now defeated the Wildcats by a combined score of 54-20 over the past four seasons. Last year, AU defeated the Wildcats 23-5, matching the program record for most goals scored.

The Eagles will next face Columbia University Feb. 25 at Jacobs Field, as AU plays four straight home games to start the year.

ttomea@theeagleonline.com