SG calls for Nebraska Lot speed bumps

The Undergraduate Senate is working to put speed bumps in the Nebraska Parking Lot.

“As a commuter, as someone who parks in the lot, people fly through there,” said Class of 2012 Sen. Nicholas Anders, who co-sponsored the bill. “People literally go 30-40 miles an hour sometimes, literally.”

The lack of speed control on the lot worried the senators, who passed the bill unanimously.

“It can be dangerous,” Anders said. “I’ve never heard of anyone getting hit, but it very well could happen.”

AU students, faculty and members of the outside community use the lot. If the D.C. Zoning Commission approves the University’s Campus Plan, the lot will become East Campus dorms and academic buildings.

Senators will be contacting the Department of Public Safety to investigate the viability of speed bumps.

The Senate also passed a bill to increase the amount of hand sanitizer dispensers on campus.

“There are very few and kind of far in between,” Anders said.

Senators also called for better maintenance of the hand sanitizer dispensers, which senators have found are often empty.

“I’ve used them many times, and there is never Purell in them,” said Class of 2014 Sen. Samantha Turetsky.

Senators passed the bill passed unanimously with little debate.

hmongilio@theeagleonline.com