Flashlights, light sabers come out during Tenley power outage

Tenley Campus lost power for nearly two hours on Feb. 16, due to downed power lines on Albermarle Street.

AU worked with power supplier Pepco to restore power to those buildings, according to a Department of Public Safety RAVE alert sent at 5:41 p.m.

Power went out for one minute at 4:14 p.m. and again from 4:30 p.m. to 6:10 p.m., according to records kept by desk receptionists at Congressional Hall.

Pepeco workers began restoring power around 5 p.m., Pepco spokesperson Clay Anderson said.

Because hallways in residence halls on Tenley Campus have no windows, they were completely blacked out.

“Some people will hide in the corners and scare people,” freshman in CLEG Andrew Gates said. “It was kind of fun. People brought out flashlights and light sabers and kind of made the most of it.”

Hot water and Internet access were also unavailable, Tenley resident Ezana Seyoum said.

“A lot of kids had assignments to turn in online or something like that, and unfortunately, because of the power outage, nobody could do anything,” Seyoum said.

The traffic lights at the corner of Van Ness Street and Nebraska Avenue were also without power Feb. 16.

Other buildings in Tenleytown also lost power, according to students who live on Tenley Campus.

A total of 1,300 customers lost power due to the outage. Other local locations did not receive power until 8:40 p.m., Anderson said.

Main campus was unaffected by the outage, according to Public Safety.

zcohen@theeagleonline.com