Lisa Strack tallied 18 points to lead AU to a dominating win over Colgate.

AU women's basketball coasts to 70-47 win

The AU women’s basketball team remained unbeaten in the Patriot League by cruising past Colgate University 70-47 Feb. 4 at Bender Arena.

The Eagles set the pace right off the bat, with Lisa Strack scoring the game’s first points in what would be a strong offensive performance for the senior. Strack netted a game-high 18 points while going 6-9 from the field and 6-7 from the foul line.

Jen Dumiak helped Strack out with 10 points, while also contributing four rebounds, two steals and four assists.

“Her handles have improved, and her decision making has gotten better,” AU Assistant Coach Belle Koclanes said of Dumiak.

Jhazmine Lynch paced the Raiders with 12 points while going 6-6 from the line.

AU had all the momentum early in the game, penetrating consistently and holding the Raiders to single digits until 8:48 remained in the first half.

As has been the theme all season, the Eagles forced turnovers and converted them into points. Colgate had 21 turnovers, and the Eagles totaled 34 points off the miscues for the afternoon.

Alexis Dobbs and Ebony Edwards led AU in steals with four and three, respectively.

The Eagles jumped out to a 29-7 lead midway through the first half, but the Raiders fought back to cut the deficit. Colgate began to tighten its defense, slowing down AU’s scoring and closing the gap to 34-23 Eagles at the half.

“We expected it,” Koclanes said of Colgate’s surge. “However, we don’t want other teams to dictate us. We want to be in the driver’s seat.”

The Raiders trailed 34-27 three minutes into the second half, as they continued to put the clamps on the AU offense. In over 12 minutes of game time spanning the first and second halves, AU scored just five points.

But the Eagles quickly got back on track, going on an 11-2 run to extend their lead to 45-29. Strack accounted for nine of the team’s 11 points during the key spurt. AU maintained a large lead from then, as Colgate never closed to within 14 points down the stretch.

“We focused on transition defense,” Strack said. “Our goal [became] getting the ball stopped early.”

Colgate shot 35 percent from the field for the game and went just 7-23 in the second half.

AU has started the second leg of the Patriot League conference schedule with a resounding win, but will now face a tough test in its next game.

The Eagles will travel to Bethlehem, Pa., Feb. 8 to take on Lehigh University, who is in second place in the conference at 6-2.

The Eagles defeated the Mountain Hawks 55-49 Jan. 11 at Bender Arena behind a balanced offensive attack. In that contest, the Eagles had four double-digit scorers, with Sarah Kiely and Ebony Edwards leading the way with 12 points apiece.