About 40 laptops stolen on campus since August

Laptops have been stolen from residence halls, administrative offices and common areas on campus.

About 40 laptops have been stolen on campus since the beginning of the academic year, according to Adam Cooper, Public Safety’s logistics and compliance coordinator.

Public Safety is investigating the thefts, and refused to provide information on when and where the thefts occurred.

“After speaking with the staff here, it has been determined that giving such specific information in regards to an ongoing investigation is not pertinent at this time,” Cooper said in an email. “We do not want to compromise the efforts of DPS in investigating these occurrences.”

The Eagle learned about the thefts from various Letts Hall residents, a Letts resident assistant and an email cautioning Letts, Clark and Roper Hall residents to deadbolt their doors in light of the thefts.

When The Eagle requested additional information from Public Safety about the thefts, Cooper said approximately 40 laptops have been stolen.

The Eagle could not confirm the location nor date of the thefts since Public Safety’s crime log, which replaced the police blotter, does not list information about what was stolen:

Laptops stolen over the course of this academic year have been taken from residence halls, administrative offices and common areas, Cooper said in a separate email.

Most of the thefts have involved Mac laptops taken from rooms occupied by females, he said.

Public Safety did not confirm or deny the existence of specific suspects because they do not comment on ongoing investigations, Cooper said.

Public Safety has issued three crime alerts related to laptop thefts this school year. Cooper emails these the alerts to The Eagle, and the department posts them on its website.

• On Nov. 5, Public Safety issued a crime alert saying the department had “received several reports of burglaries from residence hall rooms in Anderson Hall while the occupants slept.” There were no descriptions of suspects at the time.

• On Nov. 27, Public Safety issued a crime alert about a Nov. 25 laptop burglary in Letts Hall. The suspect was described as a white male with “slightly longer than crew cut dark hair,” 5’7” to 6’ tall, medium build and between 18 to 24 years old.

• On Jan. 17, Public Safety issued a crime alert about three reports of unlawful entry in Anderson Hall. Laptops were stolen in two incidents. The suspect was described as a white male with medium-length brown hair, between 5’8” and 5’10” and 18 to 21 years old.

The Nov. 25 Letts resident said she witnessed her laptop being stolen while she was staying on campus during Thanksgiving break.

“I woke up and there was a strange man in my room,” said Emma Grindfors, a School of International Service freshman who lives on the sixth floor of Letts.

The thief simply apologized and left, Grindfors said. He was a “typical-looking AU kid” of average height and weight, and he was Caucasian, she said.

Grindfors said she left her door unlocked because she feared she would be unable to enter her room again if she was locked out. The Letts Hall desk was closed during the break.

Grindfors reported the theft to Public Safety and the Letts Hall front desk.

Grindfors said she heard of another Letts Hall resident who fell asleep with her laptop on top of her and woke up without it.

Resident assistants required Letts and Anderson Hall residents to show them they could dead bolt their doors Feb. 14 in light of the theft.

A Letts Hall resident assistant, who wished to remain anonymous, said she believes there is a pattern in the laptop thefts in residence halls.

The thefts occurred in rooms where residents did not dead bolt their doors at night, the RA said.

“The best thing we can tell people is to deadbolt their doors,” the RA said.

Resident Director of Letts, Clark and Roper Halls Jennifer Baron encouraged residents to deadbolt their rooms in an email sent to residents last month.

Laptop thefts in residence halls have become a big concern to students.

“It is an inconvenience,” said Austin Ryan, a School of Public Affairs freshman and Letts Hall resident. “It does change the way you live.”

Other Letts residents agreed.

“I asked for a laptop lock for Christmas,” said Emily Ellis, a freshman in SPA.

Public Safety encourages people to report anything suspicious.

“All suspicious activity on campus and crimes in progress should be reported to Public Safety immediately at x3636 immediately,” Cooper said. “If anyone has information related to any incident, that information can also be provided anonymously by completing the Tips Form.”

Staff writer Lindsey Anderson contributed to this report.

rmigeed@theeagleonline.com