Tickets to the Founders Day Ball at the Library of Congress will be free since government buildings cannot host fundraisers.

Library of Congress to host Founders Day Ball

Clarification added

This year’s Founders Day Ball will be in the Library of Congress Jefferson Building Feb. 25 at 7 p.m.

Tickets will be free since government buildings, including the Library of Congress, cannot host fundraisers, according to Student Government Vice President Liz Richards.

AU undergraduate and graduate students, as well as certain staff and alumni, are invited, making the event more like a networking party than a dance.

“It’ll be less of just a social event,” Richards said. “It’ll have more depth to it.”

AU students and alumni will be able to reserve free tickets Feb.1 at eventbrite.com/founders2012.

Students must pick up their tickets Feb. 6 - 10 in the MGC lobby, or they will be placed on a waiting list, regardless of whether they reserved their tickets.

Organizers have a budget of about $90,000 for Founders Day from Student Government, the Residence Hall Association and the Graduate Leadership Council.

Richards said the Library of Congress is one of the nicest venues in D.C. and is appropriate for an AU event since Congress chartered the University in 1893.

“The location has truly been bumped up,” Richards said in an email to The Eagle. “The food is improved, and the mission of creating school community is now at the forefront.”

Staff writer Zach C. Cohen contributed to this report.

hmongilio@theeagleonline.com

Clarification: A previous version of this article implied that all alumni could sign up for Founders Day tickets. Certain alumni will be invited to the event, but tickets are not open to all alumni.