ANC 3D Chair Tom Smith steps down

The Advisory Neighborhood Commission 3D elected Commissioner Stu Ross as their Chair Jan. 11, replacing former Chair Tom Smith.

Smith served as Chair for the maximum two consecutive terms of one year each.

“My time was done,” Smith said.

He will continue to serve as commissioner for 3D02.

Smith said he is happy to step down to focus on serving the ANC board and his constituents.

“I’m glad not to be Chair,” Smith said. “It’s a lot of extra work.”

Ross said he previously served as ANC Chairman for a few months a couple years ago. He said he hopes to improve the discourse between commissioners at meetings.

“I would like to see if we [ANC board] can disagree without being disagreeable,” Ross said. “We need to turn down the flame.”

He said he looks forward to working with Deon Jones, ANC 3D07 commissioner and a sophomore in the School of Public Affairs, to resolve any issues related to AU.

“AU is well represented and deserves to be well represented,” Ross said.

Jones said Smith will be missed for his great contributions to the advancement of the 2011 AU Campus Plan.

“The board went through three versions of the Campus Plan,” Jones said. “And ANC is a volunteer job in which other members have fulltime jobs. He did so much.”

Jones said this leadership change will have little effect upon the ANC proceedings since the chair cannot make decisions without other commissioners.

“Business goes on as usual,” he said.

pjones@theeagleonline.com