Occupy AU evicted from Main Quad

A Public Safety officer and Clayton Pencek from Student Activities stopped members of Occupy AU from handing out fliers on the Quad Dec. 5.

Pencek, a Student Activities events and marketing assistant, said Student Activities did not approve the fliers and they could not appear on campus until stamped with the Student Activities logo.

A banner that read “Occupy AU” and had been hanging on the side Mary Graydon Center was also taken down.

Pencek said the students would have to leave the Quad with their materials, but he offered to approve the fliers that day if the students sent digital formats of the fliers.

Mana Aliabadi, a student in Occupy AU and an Eagle columnist, told the Public Safety officer and Pencek that Occupy AU was organized through the Community Action and Social Justice Coalition, which would give them the right to table on the Quad and get fliers approved by Student Activities.

However, Vice President for Student Life Gail Hanson told The Eagle in an email that Occupy AU is not a recognized student organization.

zcohen@theeagleonline.com