Michelle Montilio’s game-winning goal gave the Eagles the upset victory over Colgate, who had not lost a conference match all year. AU concludes its season at 2-4-1 in the PL.

Women's soccer ends season on high note

The AU women’s soccer team closed out its season by defeating Colgate University 1-0 and handing the Patriot League-leading Raiders their first conference loss of the season Oct. 29 in Hamilton, N.Y.

The Eagles (6-11-2, 2-4-1 PL) got off to a fast start. Their first chance to score came when Allison Slattery’s shot hit the crossbar in the 18th minute.

The next AU chance came when Slattery took two corner kicks within 30 seconds, but the Eagles failed to convert on the scoring opportunities that resulted from the corners.

In the first half’s final minutes, the Eagles took three corner kicks that resulted in a lone shot by Jenna Stasiewicz, but the senior defender sent her shot wide.

The Eagle defense played well in the opening 45 minutes, but avoided a close call late in the first half when Colgate’s Chelsea Roche sent a shot off the crossbar.

The Raiders (11-5-2, 4-1-2 PL) came out strong in the second half. In the half’s opening 10 minutes, Colgate managed a couple of scoring opportunities, but AU goalkeeper Klare Lazor stood tall and made two of her four saves five seconds apart.

Following that stretch, Michelle Montilio notched the game’s first breakthrough in the 62nd minute to put the Eagles up 1-0.

After two AU shot attempts, the ball came to Nicole Paviglionite, who made the long cross over to Montilio that resulted in a one-timer that found the back of the net. The score would prove to be the game-winning goal and snap the Eagles’ four-game losing streak to the Raiders.

The Eagles had a few chances to add to the lead, but Colgate goalkeeper Ashley Walsh played well and finished the game with six saves.

The last 10 minutes of the game saw the Raiders attempt a furious comeback. But despite a surge that included three corner kicks and seven shots, Lazor and the AU back line locked down and preserved the shutout.

Colgate outshot AU 18-16 on the night, but the Eagles were more accurate in putting seven shots on goal compared to the Raiders’ four. Of the 18 Colgate shots, the Eagles were able to block seven, with five coming during the last 10 minutes of the game.

Colgate held an 8-6 edge in corner kicks, while AU committed 15 fouls with Colgate totaling seven. Jasmine Mohandesi totaled a team-high four shots for the Eagles.

Despite the victory, the Eagles will finish the season in seventh place in the Patriot League and miss the PL Tournament for the second consecutive season. Since reaching the finals of the conference tournament in 2009, the Eagles have gone a combined 4-6-4 in Patriot League play.