SG Senate votes against return of police blotter

The Undergraduate Senate did not pass a resolution to work with Public Safety and The Eagle to bring back the police blotter during the Oct. 23 senate meeting.

The resolution was co-sponsored by Sen. Rob Battaglia and Dan Lewis.

Senators debated about giving speaking rights to former Sen. Noah Gray, because he attended the D.C. Zoning Commission meeting on Oct. 19 about the Campus Plan and he had additional information about the blotter.

The former senator was eventually awarded speaking rights and spoke against the Senate resolution, saying the police blotter hurt AU’s image.

“Publishing something in The Eagle about what AU students are doing, that isn’t technically legal or the best things that AU should be doing, can present a challenge to trying to work with the community,” Gray said.

The resolution was not passed. However, Gray called for the Senate to find a new private outlet for the AU community to receive information formerly addressed by the police blotter, without allowing the outside community, such as AU’s neighbors, to see the information.

The Senate also debated Sen. Bart Thompson’s Open Door Bill, calling on senators to leave their doors open during office hours to encourage their constituents to come to office hours. The bill passed.