Men’s soccer fails to generate offense in non-conference loss

The AU men’s soccer team was shut out in its return to non-conference play, as the University of Alabama at Birmingham Blazers defeated the Eagles 2-0 Oct. 12 in Birmingham, Ala.

UAB’s Chris Williams struck first for the Blazers (7-3-2, 1-1 Conference USA) with a free kick in the 32nd minute. Williams navigated the free kick through traffic from 35-yards out to find the back of the net and put the Blazers in front 1-0.

The Eagles (5-8-1, 3-0 PL) couldn’t get anything going against the UAB defense in the first half, as they mustered only two shots with one being on goal. The Blazers closed the opening 45 minutes with eight shots, but AU goalkeeper Billy Knutsen only needed to make one save.

Moses Adeniran clinched the game for UAB in the second half, when his free kick in the 84th minute from just outside the 18-yard box bent around the wall and inside the post for a 2-0 Blazer advantage. The goal was the second of the season for the sophomore midfielder.

For the game, UAB held a 12-5 advantage in shots, while each team tallied seven corner kicks. Seth Goldman and Jack Scott totaled the two shots on goal for the Eagles.

Knutsen played the full 90 minutes in goal for AU and made two saves, while Carl Woszczynski made two saves to preserve the UAB shutout.

AU has one more non-conference contest on its schedule, as the Eagles will travel to Charlottesville, Va., to take on the University of Virginia Cavaliers Oct. 25. The Cavaliers are 8-4 overall and are ranked No. 25 in the country.

The Eagles will next be in action Oct. 15 against Lafayette College at Reeves Field for a Patriot League showdown between the conference’s top two teams. The Leopards are 2-0-1 in the PL, and Lafayette and AU are the only two unbeaten teams in the conference.

ttomea@theeagleonline.com