Field hockey splits weekend matches

The AU field hockey team suffered its first Patriot League loss of the season Oct. 22 when it fell to Bucknell University 3-1 in Lewisburg, PA. But the team salvaged the weekend with a 3-0 victory over Georgetown University Oct. 23 at Reeves Field on Senior Day.

Bucknell earns first win over Eagles since 2001

Katie Durkin scored two goals and Erica Perrine made 11 saves as the Bison (6-9, 2-2 PL) defeated the Eagles (8-7, 3-1 PL) and snapped their 11-game losing streak against AU.

The Bison posted the first goal of the game, as Kelly Stefanowicz shot low on a penalty corner to give Bucknell a 1-0 lead 24 minutes into the game.

But AU would answer less than four minutes later, when Natalie Ellenberger knocked in a rebound off a penalty corner to even the game at one apiece. The score would remain 1-1 heading into halftime, despite the Eagles holding a large advantage in shots (13-5) and penalty corners (7-3).

Durkin scored the first of her two goals three minutes after intermission, as she tipped the ball past AU goalkeeper Ashley Dalisera to put Bucknell ahead 2-1.

The Eagles again held an edge in shots (11-6) and penalty corners (7-4) in the second half, but couldn’t push across the game-tying goal despite an aggressive attack.

With just over five minutes remaining in the game, Bucknell’s strong passing put Durkin one-on-one with Dalisera, and the junior forward pushed across her second goal of the game to put the Bison up 3-1 and seal the victory.

AU Shuts Down Georgetown

Alex McMackin scored twice and Shelly Montgomery scored once as the Eagles dominated the Hoyas (2-15, 0-5 Big East) for a convincing victory.

“I thought it was important for us to set a tone and to fix some of the things that weren’t going in our favor [Saturday],” AU Head Coach Steve Jennings said.

Montgomery struck first, as her goal put AU up 1-0 seven minutes into the game. The early aggressiveness was a theme throughout the game, as AU controlled play by holding a 34-5 edge in shots and a 14-1 advantage in penalty corners.

McMackin scored ten minutes later to extend the AU lead to 2-0, which would be plenty for the Eagles on an afternoon when Dalisera only needed to make one save in goal.

McMackin would then notch her second goal of the game in the 43rd minute to give the Eagles the 3-0 win.

Melissa Casale, Tatum Dyer and Natalie Ellenberger were all honored during a pregame Senior Day ceremony. The trio has won three Patriot League titles and has only lost two conference games during their AU careers.

“They’ve been instrumental to our success over the last four years,” Jennings said. “It’s always special when you can get the win on Senior Day.”

The No. 1 seed in the Patriot League Tournament will be at stake when the Eagles wrap the regular season Oct. 29 at Lafayette College.

ttomea@theeagleonline.com