Field hockey picks up two victories in weekend home games

The AU field hockey team started off October with a bang after defeating both Lehigh University and Temple University at Jacobs Field this weekend.

Eagles shut down Lehigh

The Patriot League opener against Lehigh Oct. 1 was an offensive onslaught for the Eagles (5-5, 1-0), who put five in the cage and shutout the Mountain Hawks (2-10, 1-0) 5-0.

A penalty corner after 20 minutes of play allowed Jenn Bradley to score the first AU goal. Less than a minute later, Melissa Casale registered a second goal for the Eagles.

Feeding off the offensive drive, Rebecca Treharne scored two minutes after Casale to boost AU’s lead to 3-0 heading into halftime.

A quick second goal from Casale pushed AU to a 4-0 lead, and Shelly Montgomery scored in the 70th minute for the 5-0 shutout.

“It was a great game, and I think it was a team effort,” AU forward Alex McMackin said.

AU defeats Temple for third-straight victory

Caryn Lambert was able to strike first to put the Owls (3-9) ahead early, and the Eagles were unable to close the first half with any goals and faced a 1-0 halftime deficit.

As the rain came down in the second half, the AU offense seemed newly energized, and pounced on Temple’s defensive back line. AU forced a penalty corner in the 44th minute, and Jaclyn Anspach tied the game at 1-1.

With 15 minutes remaining, it seemed that Courtney MacPherson had put AU ahead 2-1, but the goal was negated when the referee had ruled the ball hit MacPherson’s foot.

On a penalty stroke by Tatum Dyer in the 56th minute, the senior defender lifted the ball into the upper right corner of the cage to give AU the lead for the first time in the game.

Five minutes later, Hirschler trapped the ball as it bounced off Temple goalkeeper Lizzy Millen’s pads and shot it back into the cage for a 3-1 AU lead.

After the Owls pulled their goalkeeper to add an extra offensive player, Temple’s Amber Youtz was able to score with two minutes left in the game to cut the deficit to 3-2. But the AU defense was able to hold off the Temple attack over the game’s final minute and preserve the win.

“We knew [Temple] was a dangerous team, but our main goal was to keep them playing defense,” AU Head Coach Steve Jennings said. “I’m a big believer in momentum, and I think we’re a team that likes to run off that. It definitely feels great to win some.”

The Eagles will resume Patriot League play Oct. 8 when they travel to Worcester, Mass., to take on the College of the Holy Cross.