SG promotes school spirit with Ward Week despite low turnout

AU students celebrated the annual Artemas Ward Week with events such as the Student Union Board concert We the Kings, a carnival on the Quad and the Kennedy Political Union’s first speaker of the year, former White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs.

The 10-day Student Government program, lasting from Sept. 9 to Sept. 19, also featured a 9/11 remembrance event and a ’90s TV show marathon.

Artemas Ward, who is also the namesake for the building that houses the School of Public Affairs as well as the traffic circle near campus, was General George Washington’s right-hand man in the Revolutionary War.

SG dedicates the week to Ward because of his and AU’s shared commitment to public service, SG Vice President Liz Richards said.

Multiple departments in the SG, including KPU, SUB, the Community Service Coalition, Women’s Initiative and the SG Events Department planned months in advance for the various Ward Week events.

“We want to make kids have fun and enjoy being at AU,” Richards explained. “It’s also a great way for us to welcome the freshman class.”

Allie Gardner, a freshman in the School of International Service, said she did feel a sense of belonging, especially with the SUB concert Sept. 9 and a Ping-Pong tournament Sept. 10.

“I enjoyed the concert very much,” said Caroline Heimerl, a freshman in SPA. “Ben Kweller was an excellent opening for We the Kings. I had never heard him play before, but his music was really easy to listen to.”

Students said they particularly enjoyed the Ping-Pong tournament, “Jackpot Ping-Pong,” in the Tavern, where they competed for a $50 gift card to Amazon.

Kristen Pulkstenis, a freshman in SPA who attended the tournament to support her friend, enjoyed watching the competition.

“It was really fun,” Pulkstenis said. “They should definitely make this an event again next year.”

On Sept. 11, the SG recognized the 10th anniversary of the 9/11 terrorist attacks.

Students were given the opportunity to participate in service events, including writing letters to soldiers.

“It was great to have the opportunity to take a pause in my day to help those who were less fortunate,” says Aaron Stein, a freshman in SPA.

The ‘90s TV night on Sept. 15 in the Tavern gave students a chance to view their favorite childhood shows.

“It was a way for people to relive their childhood,” Richards said, laughing.

SG also hosted a barbecue in the amphitheatre Sept. 16 prior to volleyball game against Villanova University to motivate and cheer on the team.

Ward Week’s last event was its most anticipated, KPU’s speaking event with former White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs Sept. 19 in the University Club.

Although Ward Week has been celebrated for many years, the turnout to the festivities has been consistently low in recent years. SG would like to raise the attendance to Ward Week events in the future.

“Artemas Ward Week is not highly recognized on campus,” Richards said. “Our goal is to boost the spirit and promote the week more.”

Some students said they felt the week’s events were not well promoted.

“I wish I had known more about Artemas Ward Week because the activities sounded like fun and I didn’t know about them,” said Elizabeth Leslie, a freshman in SPA.