Professor, Latin American expert Jack Child dies at 73

Jack Child was known throughout the AU community for his enthusiasm, whether it was for Latin America or for penguins.

Child, a College of Arts and Sciences professor, died from complications after open-heart surgery on June 18. He was 73 years old.

“I saw him periodically [last] spring, but I wasn’t aware of him being ill,” School of International Service Dean Louis Goodman said.

Child began his AU career as SIS assistant dean in 1980. He then transferred to CAS as a professor in the Department of Language and Studies in 1989.

“You could tell how popular he was by how quickly his classes would fill up,” Goodman said.

Child founded the Center for Teaching Excellence in 1998, serving as director for four years, and taught as an SIS affiliate professor until his death.

Child was passionate about Latin America. He collected Latin American postage stamps, wrote several pieces on the region and visited each Latin American country.

He applied his passion for Latin American studies outside the classroom to create the Center for Latin America Studies in the College of Arts and Sciences.

“We now have a Center for Latin America Studies,” SIS Professor Philip Brenner said. “If not for Jack Child, we wouldn’t have that.”

Child received many awards during his time at AU. He won the University Award for Teaching in the General Education Program in 1998, the University Faculty Administrator award in 200, and was awarded University Professor in 2009.

Despite his numerous academic achievements, Child remained humble.

“It was like you were in the presence of a saint,” Brenner said.

According to many of his students and colleagues, Child worked in the best interest for others. He even wrote and published a booklet listing all the available Latin American courses each semester, which he paid for with his own money.

“Whenever Jack asked you to do something, you couldn’t say no because it was never for himself — it was for the common good,” Brenner said.

Child was born in Buenos Aires to American parents, spending his first 18 years in South America. After graduating from Yale University, Child served in the military as a Latin American specialist for 20 years until he retired as lieutenant colonel.

“Jack resigned from the military, giving up friends, a career, because it was about the principle of what the United States was doing in Latin America and what they were asking him to do,” SIS Professor Philip Brenner said.

Child also shared his passion for penguins with the AU community. He visited Antarctica 14 times as a staff lecturer and guide, and even dressed up in a penguin suit on more than one occasion, according to Goodman.

“He was the penguin-lover among us all,” Goodman said.

Child is survived by his wife, two sons, two daughters-in-law, five grandchildren, sister and brother.

He will be buried in Arlington National Cemetery, and a memorial service will be held on Sept. 23 in the Methodist Church. There will be a following reception in the SIS Atrium.

“He was a remarkable person,” CAS Dean Peter Starr said. “We’re really going to miss this guy.”