AU Sustainability Office hires alum to coordinate outreach

AU hired recent graduate Joshua Kaplan as the outreach specialist for the Office of Sustainability in July to engage the community in environmentally sustainable goals.

“Josh’s role will be working with people one-on-one to find out the behavior of students on campus towards environmentally sustainable activities,” Office of Sustainability Director Chris O’Brien said.

Kaplan graduated from AU this May with a degree in environmental studies.

His first project will be expanding the Green Eagle program on campus. The Green Eagle program, which employs and pays student leaders to talk to other students about environmental issues, is the biggest outreach vehicle of the Office of Sustainability, according to Kaplan.

“Having students on the ground [active in the Green Eagle program] has a much bigger effect than just having signs up around campus,” Kaplan said.

He said the Green Eagle program will expand its staff this year. Each office around the University will have a designated staff member to help implement sustainable initiatives.

The first months will include initiatives such as biking to work or using less energy around the office, he said.

“So far, things are going great,” O’Brien said. “We’re training 20 students this year to be Green Eagles and we’re looking to expand our green roof program.”

Kaplan will also engage students and faculty through online newsletters, Twitter and Facebook updates, as well as outreach exhibitions at events around campus throughout the year, according to O’Brien.

Kaplan was hired as an outreach specialist due to his senior year internship in the Office of Sustainability and his commitment to environmental sustainability at AU, O’Brien said.

“One of the reasons Josh is so valuable to our office is the fact that he knows the University and its students, and can relate to them on a personal level,” O’Brien said.

O’Brien is eager for Kaplan to begin work this year due to his prior experience in the office.

“We’re excited about this year with Josh,” O’Brien said. “Sustainability at AU is expanding more than we ever thought.”