Alumni dish out career advice at informal dinners with students

AU is offering students a unique opportunity to network with alumni this year with the introduction of the Dinner with Alumni Program.

The dinner series consists of five dinners in the fall and five in the spring, all of which will be hosted by different AU alumni. A group of eight to 15 students, chosen on a first come, first serve basis, will meet with an alumni host from varying fields of study at a restaurant or the alumni’s home.

“[It’s designed] to provide students a tool with which to expand their professional and university networks [where there] is no cost to the students, [because] the alum will pay for the dinner in its entirety,” Alumni Relations Coordinator Michael Sumner said.

Dinners include:

n Class of 1994 graduate Z. Selin Hur, a Strategic Programs Principal at CACI International Inc., will host a dinner on the rooftop of her building for students interested in IT, management consulting and national security Sept. 28.

n Class of 1992 graduate and resident of the Metro D.C. Celiac Association Jerry Maltiz will host a dinner at his home exclusively for students with celiac disease and gluten allergies or intolerances Oct. 6.

n Class of 1986 graduate Sandra Walter-Steinberg, chief strategist and principal for Sandra M. Walter and Associates Consulting, will host a dinner at Cactus Cantina Oct. 19 for students interested in business or communications in the nonprofit sector.

n Students interested in communications and event management should attend the Nov. 8 dinner at Black’s Bar and Kitchen in Bethesda with Class of 1994 graduate Jennifer Collins, founder of The Event Planning Group.

Each dinner has an individual schedule, but most will start between 5:30 and 7 p.m. and will run for an unset duration of time, allowing students and alums the opportunity to interact in a “casual yet business-like atmosphere,” Sumner said.

The only requirement is that students acquire their own mode of transportation to and from the dinner.

The series was created by the Student-Alumni Initiative Committee, which includes Student Government President Tim McBride, SG Vice President Liz Richards and representatives from the Office of Development and Alumni Relations.

“A mutual goal [of the Dinner with Alumni Program is] to increase fellowship, communication and relations between undergraduates and alumni,” McBride said.

Sumner said the program was modeled after existing programs at Temple University, Northwestern University, Emory University and George Washington University.

He also said the success of the pilot program of three dinners conducted last spring helped put this fall’s series of dinners into action.

Andrea Agathoklis Murino, a member of the Alumni Board, hosted one of the three dinners last spring for eight students and two alumni, Joe Vidulich and Cait Douglas, at Chef Geoff’s on New Mexico Avenue.

“The alums dished out internship advice, career ideas and interview tips,” Murino said. “I am still in contact with several students and the same is true for Joe and Cait.”

Murino said the dinner was a success for her as well as the university.

“I think the dinner accomplished exactly what AU Alumni Board hoped: it created new bridges between students and alums that will benefit both for years to come,” she said.

Sumner said he hopes AU alumni will benefit from the Dinner with Alumni Program as much as students.

“[Alumni will have the chance to] reconnect with the University through meaningful volunteer opportunities and stay current on the latest news on campus,” he said.

This fall, the first alumni dinner is already full, but students can register for other upcoming dinners at www.american.edu/alumni/register.