Starting strong - Carleigh Morba and the Eagles have won two of their first three games. A junior forward, Morba has one goal on the season for AU.

Mulhern’s first career goal leads AU past Wildcats

Klare Lazor registers clean sheet as Eagles open the season at 2-1

Women’s soccer freshman Erin Mulhern scored her first career goal, and that was all Klare Lazor and the AU defense would need in the Aug. 26 1-0 victory against the New Hampshire Wildcats at the University of Vermont.

A freshman forward, Mulhern found the back of the net from 15 yards out after a failed New Hampshire (0-2) clear. Assisted by Lindsay Muri, Mulhern’s goal came in the 26th minute and stood for the rest of the contest.

“I thought we played very well and created a number of opportunities,” Head Coach Dave Bucciero told AU Athletics. “I thought Erica Correa (New Hampshire’s goalkeeper) played a very good game to prevent more goals for us. We’re very happy with this win and hopefully we can carry over this good play (against Vermont).”

The Eagles (2-1) are off to a nice start after dropping their first eight games in 2010. During those eight games last season, AU only scored two goals. After three games this fall, the Eagles have already exceeded that total with three goals.

AU tallied eight shots, while the Wildcats totaled seven Friday afternoon. Seven of AU’s targets were on goal, compared to three from UNH. Mulhern and Muri each recorded two on goal, while Katarina Kingston, Allison Slattery, Michelle Montilio and Samantha Trotta each totaled one.

Lazor made three saves in goal, while Correa kept the Wildcats in the contest all afternoon by registering six saves. Despite Correa’s strong effort, the New Hampshire offense couldn’t get on track in the loss.

AU was scheduled to conclude its road trip on Sunday, Aug. 28, against the University of Vermont Catamounts, but weather postponed the match. The game will now be played Monday, Aug. 29 at 1 p.m.

When the road trip concludes, the Eagles will return to Reeves Field for their next two games. The first will be against the Robert Morris Colonials on Friday, Sept. 2 at 4 p.m., with the second against the Iowa Hawkeyes on Sunday, Sept. 4 at noon.

AU’s next contest on the road will be a big challenge, as the Eagles will travel to College Park, Md., on Wednesday, Sept. 7 to take on the University of Maryland Terrapins. The Terps opened the season with two wins and a draw and are ranked No. 4 in the country.

ttomea@theeagleonline.com