DRIVE ON - Yearly resident parking rates were increased to $988 in May, up from $964 in May 2010. One-semester parking rates were raised to $494, up from $482 last year.

Main campus parking rates rise again

Correction appended

AU Main Campus residents return to an increase in parking rates, which were implemented this May.

Academic year parking rates for students who live on Main Campus increased from $964 in May 2010 to $988 in May 2011, according to the AU website.

One-semester parking rates for resident students increased as well, from $482 to $494.

Terrence Campbell, Office of Parking and Traffic assistant coordinator, said the rates increased to match D.C. parking rates and those at other universities.

“All of our parking rates are at or below rates currently charged at local universities and are either below or competitive with D.C. parking fees for premium meters,” Campbell said in an email.

George Washington University charges students from $760 to $860 per semester for parking while Georgetown University does not offer student parking on its main campus.

Campbell said the AU parking fee profits return to the University to fund the parking program, as well as AU in general.

“The revenues received as a result of parking fees are returned to the University’s General Funds and used to benefit the campus community, as well as the cost of providing parking services to our campus drivers,” Campbell said.

How to get a parking permit

Students living on Main Campus with a car must purchase a parking permit for their vehicle, according to the AU website.

This permit only applies to that individual and their vehicle and cannot be used by another student or for a different vehicle.

Parking permits can be purchased online by filling out an application and picking up the permit at the Department of Public Safety.

Campbell said it takes one to two business days to obtain a parking permit.

Campbell said students must pick up their parking permit from Public Safety to “ensure students are not charged for the permit until it is picked up.”

Students are required to bring a copy of vehicle registration and a photo ID when picking up their permit, according to Campbell.

Parking fines and regulations

Freshman and Washington Semester resident students are not permitted cars without special permission.

Students may only park in the residence hall lot they are assigned — Nebraska Hall Lot, McDowell Hall Lot or Centennial Parking Garage. All students can park in the Nebraska Avenue Parking Lot and Katzen Garage in addition to their assigned residence hall parking lot.

Students who park in a lot that is not designated on their permit will receive a $35 fine. Students with permits cannot park in the School of International Service garage.

Parking lot rules are enforced 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

“Vehicles owing $300 or more, or with three or more outstanding citations (open for more than 30 days) or cited for false registration or unauthorized use of permit are subject to immobilization,” Campbell said.

The first parking ticket from Public Safety is a warning, but all other ones are violations. Campbell said citations double after 30 days as a penalty.

Parking fines begin at $15 for the smallest infraction of displaying your permit incorrectly to $200 for parking in a handicap spot. Students can be fined $100 for parking in a neighborhood, unless they are a resident living on the street, a visitor to a resident or not conducting University business, according to the AU website.

Students may pay fines at the Parking and Traffic Services office from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. or online at www.parkingticketpayment.com/american with cash, credit card or check.

pjones@theeagleonline.com

A previous version of this article stated that students cannot park in the SIS garage. Only students with permits cannot park in the garage. The previous version also stated that it is possible for a student's license to be suspended because of numerous AU parking tickets, which is incorrect.