AU men’s soccer ties No. 15 Ohio State

The AU men’s soccer team began its 2011 campaign Saturday with a 1-1 draw against the Ohio State University Buckeyes in the Penn State Classic at University Park, Pa.

Seth Goldman put the Eagles (0-0-1) on the board first in the 32nd minute, and AU was minutes away from knocking off the Buckeyes (0-0-1), who entered the season ranked No. 15 in the National Soccer Coaches Association of America Poll. But Ohio State’s Kenny Cunningham provided the equalizer in the 83rd minute for the 1-1 draw.

“The team defending was great today, and we were seven minutes away from beating a top-15 team,” Head Coach Todd West told AU Athletics. “Overall, I am pleased with our starting point with this team. We have some things to clean up, but we will build on this.”

AU put together a few strong attacks in the first half, culminating with the Goldman goal 13 minutes from halftime. The breakthrough came when Colin Seigfreid found Goldman, whose header notched the game’s first score.

Following the Goldman goal, the rest of the first half saw one shot on goal, an attempt by Ohio State’s Sebastian Rivas. For the opening 45 minutes, the Buckeyes outshot the Eagles 6-4, while holding a 2-0 advantage in corner kicks.

“We did not have a good first half,” Buckeyes Head Coach John Bluem told Ohio State Athletics. “I think we were tentative and didn’t pressure the ball well at all, and American was able to put together a couple good attacking movements, scoring on one. After the interval, we played better and controlled much of the second half and overtime.”

The equalizer came after David Tiemstra intercepted an AU pass and connected with Cunningham, who found the back of the net for the Buckeyes. Eagle goalkeeper and 2010 All-Patriot League second team selection Matt Makowski made three of his five saves in the second half to preserve the draw.

For the contest, the Buckeyes outshot the Eagles 23-7, with six of Ohio State’s attempts on goal and Chris Kuramoto’s try the other AU attempt on goal outside of Goldman’s. Ohio State possessed a 9-0 advantage in corner kicks, including three in the second overtime, and AU committed 15 fouls to Ohio State’s 7.

The Eagles will play another ranked opponent on Monday, this time on the road against the No. 18 Penn State Nittany Lions as the squad concludes the Penn State Classic.

ttomea@theeagleonline.com