Police issue warrant for arrest of suspect in Marcum murder

Montgomery County Police issued a warrant May 27 for the arrest of Jorge Rueda Landeros in the murder of Kogod School of Business Professor Sue Marcum.

Landeros, a 41-year-old yoga instructor, is believed to be in Mexico, but Montgomery County Police are working with Mexican authorities to bring him back, Officer Rebecca Innocenti said.

“We are actively attempting to locate him at this time, but there is no definite answer,” Innocenti said.

The Bethesda Patch reported Marcum and Landeros were close friends, according to Marcum’s other close friends. According to the Washington Times, Landeros also taught Marcum Spanish.

Marcum was murdered in her home Oct. 25. Montgomery County Police had previously identified DeAndrew Hamlin as a suspect in the case when he was found later that day driving her vehicle in D.C.

The police dropped charges against DeAndrew Hamlin last month. He was sentenced to 12 months of probation on May 13 for stealing Marcum’s car, The Eagle previously reported.

Innocenti said the police wanted to release the information about Landeros’ warrant for arrest for two reasons:

“One, so the suspect knows we know,” Innocenti said. “And two, to inform the community that this wasn’t some random event.”

pjones@theeagleonline.com