Phyllis Peres promoted to senior vice provost, dean of academic affairs

Phyllis Peres will become the senior vice provost and dean of academic affairs June 1, with Virginia Stallings taking over Peres’s former position as interim vice provost for undergraduate studies May 25.

Provost Scott Bass said Peres’s promotion is the result of her contributions and dedication to AU’s academics.

“Given her record of leadership and sound judgment, I am confident she will continue to thrive in this position on a permanent basis,” Bass said in a May 19 memorandum.

Peres’ new responsibilities will include supervising AU Abroad programs; the Career Center; and the Center for Teaching, Research, and Learning. She will also process faculty actions, appointments and tenure reviews and will collaborate with deans on academic policy matters, according to the memorandum.

Stallings will oversee the General Education program, University Honors program and University College Program. She will also supervise the implementation of the revised Undergraduate Academic Regulations and the new three-year bachelor’s degree program. Stallings will assist in finding a retention coordinator to help maintain AU’s high student retention rate.

Stallings recently served as a faculty senator and taught in the Mathematics and Statistics department. Her previous positions at AU include associate dean of the College of Arts and Sciences and chair of the Department of Mathematics and Statistics.

“Dr. Stallings’ experience in the areas of undergraduate curriculum development, policy review, student enrollment and retention, and support services, will serve her well in this position,” Bass said in a May 16 memorandum.

pjones@theeagleonline.com