GW Professor James Goldgeier named as new SIS dean

Correction Appended

George Washington University Professor James Goldgeier will take over as AU’s new dean of the School of International Service, replacing current Dean Louis Goodman.

Goodman will return to teaching in SIS. Goldgeier said he plans to build on the previous dean’s accomplishments and “to continue AU’s upward trajectory.”

“I want SIS to be a leader nationwide,” Goldgeier said.

Goldgeier was a professor of political science and international affairs at George Washington, as well as the former director of the Institute for European, Russian and Eurasian Studies. He holds an M.A. and Ph.D. in political science from the University of California-Berkeley and a B.A. in government from Harvard.

“Dr. Goldgeier is an internationally known scholar whose academic research focuses on contemporary international relations and American foreign policy,” Provost Scott Bass said in a campus-wide memorandum May 23.

Goldgeier’s goals as SIS dean will include encouraging SIS faculty, staff and students to become more involved in Washingtonian politics.

“I’m eager to help connect SIS with the political community and see the school more visible in policy discussion,” Goldgeier said.

Goldgeier said he also plans to further develop new areas in SIS, such as environmental policy, and to maintain the University’s commitment to the environment.

He also plans to meet as many people as possible, in both formal and informal settings, such as meeting with students who are “just hanging out on the first floor of the SIS building,” he said.

AU established a search committee to look for a new dean when Goodman announced he would leave the position.

Goldgeier went through a months-long interview process before the University offered him the position, including numerous meetings with faculty, students and administration.

He begins his new job August 1.

“I’m just glad the folks at AU wanted me on staff,” Goldgeier said.

This article originally stated that James Goldgeier begins his term as SIS dean May 23 and August 1. Goldgeier actually begins August 1. The Eagle regrets this error.