Women’s Initiative donates $32,350 to charity

Women’s Initiative raised more than $32,350 this year for various local charities focusing on women’s issues and successfully implemented many of its programming goals, according to Director Quinn Pregliasco.

WI received a budget of $22,000 this year, allocated by the Student Government.

The annual performance of the Vagina Monologues, one of the organization’s main events, was “the best yet,” Pregliasco said. More than 600 people attended and raised $5,000 for the D.C. Rape Crisis Center, Courtney’s House and Helping Individual Prostitutes Survive.

Other programming included Take Back the Night, with more than 4,000 participants, and Dance Marathon, where 150 dancers raised more than $2,600 for the Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation.

Special guest speakers included Donna Brazile and Gloria Steinem, both of which were co-sponsored by Kennedy Political Union.

The Undergraduate Senate also passed several resolutions on topics presented or encouraged by Women’s Initiative during the year.

“This year we learned how to work with Student Government a lot better than in the past,” Pregliasco said.

This year also marked the opening of the Women’s Resource Center, staffed by students and Program Coordinator Vanessa Molina, a Washington College of Law student.

“It’s exciting that it’s growing so rapidly,” Pregliasco said of the WRC, adding that she had hoped it would become a full-time office for the upcoming year.

Currently, the office is scheduled to remain open 25 hours per week for the upcoming year.

Despite the success of various events and policies created by Women’s Initiative, Pregliasco said she was very disappointed that the University did not submit a federal sexual assault education grant proposal.

Pregliasco said she hopes the Sexual Assault Working Group, Women’s Initiative and other similar groups can apply for smaller grants next year, so AU could receive some of the resources that the federal grant would have provided.

Under new director Carmen Rios, Women’s Initiative will also try to push the previously smaller-scale “(con)sensual” campaign, aimed at ending violence against women and promoting consent and healthy relationships.

Women’s Initiative will be partnering with the SG vice president’s cabinet to promote the “(con)sensual” campaign, Pregliasco said, adding that the partnership may include a special Welcome Week event for next year.

nlavin@theeagleonline.com