Saturday, Aug. 31, 2024

Undergraduate Senate endorses mandatory sexual assault education

The Undergraduate Senate passed a resolution April 10 expressing support for a mandatory online sexual assault education course.

AU officials oppose such mandatory education, which would create a “stop” on student accounts and possibly delay their class registration. This was a contentious point of debate between the University and some students when AU refused to submit a Department of Justice grant proposal that would give AU $300,000 over three years toward sexual assault programs and education on campus.

The grant proposal was ultimately not submitted.

The Senate also passed a bill that directed the Student Government president and Women’s Initiative officials to advocate for a confidentiality agreement for the Wellness Center’s sexual assault health educator and a confidential victim advocate.

The Senate also passed a resolution in favor of the 2011 Campus Plan, saying the “benefits that the Campus Plan brings to the University would not impose objectionable burdens on the broader community of the neighborhood and the city.”

mzoglo@theagleonline.com