Senate clears Bronstein to make comptroller appointment

The Undergraduate Senate approved Student Government President Nate Bronstein’s ability to appoint a comptroller-designate during an emergency session April 25.

Comptroller-elect Taylor Yeates announced April 22 he would not be the Student Government comptroller next year due to personal reasons. Yeates ran unopposed in this year’s SG election and was set to begin his term May 1.

Yeates is the first comptroller-elect to step down, according to SG Communications Director Morgan Gress. Yeates could not be reached for comment.

Students can apply for the comptroller position until noon on April 28, and a decision will be made twelve hours later, according to an executive order signed by Bronstein.

Bronstein and Acting Speaker of the Undergraduate Senate Brett Atanasio issued a joint order allowing Bronstein to appoint a new comptroller-designate without Senate approval. It is the only method available in the SG bylaws to obtain a new comptroller before summer.

The comptroller needs to be on campus over the summer to sign off on financial documents for the SG, according to outgoing Comptroller Ed Levandoski.

Normally, the Senate would confirm any presidential nominations for vacant positions, but University policy does not allow the Senate to convene after April 25 because classes will have ended, Gress said.

If a comptroller is not appointed in time, the SG will still be able to function.

“The SG has many safeguards in place to ensure that the duties of the Comptroller position are covered by other executives and Student Activities will of course help where we can,” said Coordinator of Governance and Leadership at Student Activities Andrew Toczydlowski.

Eric Reath is taking a leave of absence from his position as the speaker of the Senate to apply for the position.

Six applications are currently being considered at press time, Bronstein said.

Applicants interested in the comptroller position can send résumés and cover letters to president@ausg.org.

Staff writers Marie Zoglo and Stefanie Dazio contributed to this report.

zcohen@theeagleonline.com

More from The Eagle