Two-thirds of Student Government positions lack declared candidates

Two-thirds of all Student Government positions are empty after a nominating convention Wednesday night.

Twenty-four of 36 positions have not been filled on the ballot.

If those positions do not get filled in as write-in campaigns during spring elections on March 22 and 23, students, including those from the incoming Class of 2015, would have the opportunity to declare candidacy and run for those positions this fall, according to SG Senate Speaker Eric Reath, who is running for secretary.

The presidential candidates are Anthony Dunham, who ran unsuccessfully for the position last year, Ibraheem Samirah, Jessica Darmawan, Joseph Schulte, Timothy McBride and Zachary Lancet.

Students who declared their candidacy Wednesday can change the position they are running for over the next few days, though that’s unlikely, according to Board of Elections Chair Dan Lewis.

One candidate already violates campaign rules

Campaigning begins on March 14 and will continue until March 22, Lewis said.

Candidates are prohibited from campaigning until then, according Board of Elections regulations.

One candidate posted on his Facebook page that he was running for an SG position, which is a violation of the regulations.

The candidate deleted the post on March 2 once Lewis informed him of the infringement.

Lewis said the violation was a minor one, and the candidate was given a warning.

The name of the violator could not be disclosed due to campaign regulations.

Elections for the Class Council of 2015 and the SG Senate will be this fall.

zcohen@theeagleonline.com

The Candidates

The following people have declared their candidacy for the following positions according to Andrew Toczydlowski, Student Activities coordinator of Governance and Leadership:

SG President: Anthony Dunham, Ibraheem Samirah, Jessica Darmawan, Joseph Schulte, Timothy McBride, Zachary Lancet SG Vice President: Elizabeth Richards SG Comptroller: Taylor Yeates SG Secretary: Eric Reath, Kevin Sutherland Class of 2012 President: Samuel Hagedorn Class of 2013 President: Deniz Sonmez-Alpan Class of 2014 President: Lauren Williams Class of 2014 Vice-President: Timothy Vallario SOC President: Jade Vakilzadeh, Madeline Shattow SOC Vice-President: Jessica Liu, Samantha Landwehr Undergraduate Business Association (Kogod) President: Alexis Zayfert SPA President: Kevin Ralph