Tom Smith spends $3,000 on legal fees

Advisory Neighborhood Commissioner Tom Smith spent $3,000 of his own money during the November elections, mostly on legal fees, according to D.C. Office of Campaign Finance documents.

Smith ran for ANC seat 3D 02, which covers the North side of AU’s campus and local neighborhoods, against write-in candidate and AU freshman Tyler Sadonis.

Smith filed two formal complaints against Sadonis, the A Voice 4 U campaign and its public relations firm, Eagle Communications, that alleged multiple campaign finance violations and that Sadonis was ineligible for election in October.

An Office of Campaign Finance hearing found several campaign finance violations occurred, but all charges were dismissed.

Smith’s finances

Smith said he was “forced” to hire an attorney to get advice on D.C. election law.

“Our election system here is fraught with potential for abuse,” he said.

He received $450 in donations and spent $3,527.05 between Aug. 4, 2010 and Nov. 2, 2010.

He spent $3,077.05 of his own money on legal fees and some campaign fliers and signs, he said.

This is Smith’s third term on the ANC.

Smith said he never received donations or hired an attorney for his previous races.

A Voice 4 U finances

The AV4U campaign raised $909 in donations for both Sadonis’ and freshman Deon Jones’ campaigns.

Jones ran for ANC seat 3D 07 as a write-in candidate and won.

Sadonis’ campaign raised $604.00 and spent $541.36. Jones’ campaign raised $305 and spent $301.90.

The money was spent on the AV4U website, business cards, fliers and the $500 Eagle Communications fee.

AV4U Finance Director Ed Levandoski said less money was raised and spent on Jones’ seat because it was uncontested.

The remaining $65.74 is held by AV4U, which is now considered a principal campaign committee, and is currently being used to pay for the group’s website, Levandoski said. The group hasn’t decided what to do with the funds in the future.

As a principal campaign committee, AV4U exists outside of individual candidates and can keep the money.

If surplus money were held in an individual candidate’s name, he or she would have to use it to pay off debts, return to donors, expend it to his or her political party or donate it to charity.

sdazio@theeagleonline.com