Steve King criticizes health care law during AU speech

Rep. Steve King, R-Iowa, believes last year’s healthcare legislation is an abomination to the American dream.

King said Wednesday that American citizens are unsuitable for a “nanny state,” or socialized medicine, during a speech at AU.

King said “Obamacare” is the unconstitutional taking of liberty.

He criticized the “one size fits all plan,” saying that the government was trying to take away the most sovereign part of a human being – your body.

“There has to be a risk taken if there’s going to be advancements made,” King said of the Tea Party’s role in the Republican Party. “If the mission of someone who gets elected to the legislature is to perpetuate their stay in there, that means they’re going to be inclined to compromise too much.”

Republicans attempted to repeal the health care legislation earlier this year, but it stopped in the Senate.

King said he and other Republicans in the House knew it would fail, but that the move wasn’t merely symbolic.

“It is possible that the leverage comes in such a way and it’s packaged in such a way that we can get an enactment of shutting off the funding of ‘Obamacare.’” King said.

King has also tried to push through a bill on that would change birthright citizenship in order to prevent Mexican immigrants from coming to U.S. illegally to have their children, a practice known as having an “anchor baby.”

Though the bill could run into hurdles with the protection in the 14th Amendment, King says it would not be impossible to get passed in the Senate.

“Part of the strategy is to build the political foundation out there through the media and to convince enough people on the fence to come to your side,” King said.

lgiangreco@theeagleonline.com