AU clubs receive $12,000 more than last year

The AU Club Council has allocated $119,046 to student clubs for the 2011 fiscal year — a $12,000 increase from what was distributed during the previous fiscal year, according to AUCC Chair Katelyn Hurley.

The extra $12,000 was available because Hurley decided to allocate a higher percentage of the budget this year to clubs instead of to administrative and general AUCC expenses.

The funds are given to the 155 clubs at AU, with the largest allocations this year given to the Debate Society, Pep Band Boosters, Colleges Against Cancer, College Republicans and Queers and Allies, Hurley said.

Hurley said clubs frequently request the minimum of $100, and 58 clubs had budgets under $500 this year.

The AUCC obtains allocation money from graduate and undergraduate student fees. However, the increase in money allocated this year was Hurley’s decision, because the chair of the AUCC determines what percentage of the budget is allocated to clubs.

“I felt like more of the Student Activity fee students pay should be reinvested back into the campus community,” Hurley said. “We had the money to make this a reality.”

The AUCC switched to a monthly budgeting system last summer to allow for a larger percentage of funds to be allocated to clubs, Hurley said. As a result, all clubs are able to secure at least $100 when funds are first allocated in September, which was not a guaranteed in past years.

Additionally, clubs can apply monthly for more funding if they can prove growth and will put the funds to good use, Hurley said.

“It really fosters the growth and development of new clubs,” Hurley said. “Under the old system, [new clubs] would have gotten a small allocation in, but they would have to wait until January or the following September to apply for more funds.”

The rest of the budget goes towards general and administrative expenses. The projected allocation budget for fiscal year 2012 is currently $108,255, but it might change, Hurley said.

kfroehlich@theeagleonline.com