Kogod Case Competition winners suggest online model for The Economist

Five Kogod School of Business sophomores suggested The Economist transition from a print to an online publication over 40 years as part of their winning business plan for the Feb. 12 Kogod Case Competition.

More than 200 students participated in the 19th annual competition, where they had only four days to complete a comprehensive business and marketing plan to promote The Economist to an expanded audience.

“We came in as a completely sophomore team and we were open to winning, but we knew that our chances were low,” said Rob Horn, a member of winning team “Cutting Edge Consulting” with Rob Book, Adam Bundy, Alex Lamm and David Sylva. “The fact that we won is indicative that the case competition is really open to students in all classes.”

The team in second place, “Business Armada,” proposed a weekly television documentary version of “The Economist.” Team members were Ruth Bazie, Thomas Coesfeld, Lev Diyachenko, Diana Hernandez and Aley Russell.

“This year was unique because usually we have a struggling business for students to work on,” said Kogod professor Wendy Boland, who opened the awards ceremony. “This was great because The Economist is actually doing well.”

Kogod Dean Richard Durand spoke at the closing ceremony and explained how impressive the competing students were. “This event exemplifies who we are in the Kogod School of Business,” he said. “It’s what pure learning is all about.”

First-time judge and former graduate participant Farzad Shirzad found the students prepared and poised.

“This competition is such a great learning experience for undergrads,” he said. “For those students on the fence about participating next year, I really think they should go for it. The exposure is priceless, even though it’s definitely not an easy task.”

“Cutting Edge Consulting” and “Business Armada” both received a trophy and a $250 reward per teammate.