Founders’ Day Ball on target for Feb. 26

Student Government officials promise Founders’ Day Ball will happen this time around, despite last year’s problems.

The black-tie ball is scheduled for Saturday, Feb. 26 at the Corcoran Gallery of Art on 17th Street. Buses will transport students from campus to the Corcoran and back.

The theme will be “an AU masterpiece,” to tie in with the art gallery, according to Amanda Silva, vice president of programming for the Residence Hall Association.

Music will be by mash-up artist E-603.

“This is the one day when we all come together as a unified student body to celebrate being at American University,” said Maia Tagami, the Student Government vice president.

Last year, the ball never happened due to a series of setbacks, including issues with weather, contracts, funding and staffing.

“Planning and everything is on schedule,” Tagami said of this year’s preparations. “Everything’s coming along really well and I’m confident it’s going to meet the expectations of students. We’re on target with the timeline we set out in September.”

Tagami said to prevent a repeat of last year’s problems, the SG began planning the event during the summer.

Tickets will be $10 this year, as opposed to $20 in the past.

A limited amount of the 600 tickets will be sold each day “sometime soon” to ensure the event doesn’t sell out immediately, Tagami said.

“The event is taking place,” Director of Founders’ Week Ben Schorr said. “It’s going to be a really good time.”

mzoglo@theeagleonline.com