2011 Campus Plan the latest in AU's continued growth

Since AU’s founding in 1893, the University has expanded from a single building, Hurst Hall, to 43 on Main Campus alone.

The University’s draft 2011 Campus Plan, released Jan. 24 for community review, proposes adding 750,000 square feet of new buildings, additions and renovations in the next 10 years.

The plan proposes a new East Campus, located on the Nebraska Parking Lot, a new South Hall dorm near the current South side buildings, moving the Washington College of Law to the Tenley Campus and additions to the Beeghly Building, the Kay Spiritual Life Center, Nebraska Hall and the Mary Graydon Center.

In the next 10 years, administrators expect enrollment to increase by 13 percent, mostly in graduate and law students. The total enrollment would increase from 10,298 to 13,600 students.

In 1914, AU’s first graduating class totaled 28 students.

AU officials will meet with local Advisory Neighborhood Commissions this month to receive more feedback from the community.

This year is the first time in D.C. history where two universities have students in ANC seats at the same time. AU freshman Deon Jones and Jake Sticka of Georgetown University will have to weigh in on their respective schools’ campus plans in the coming months.

AU plans to file its plan with the Zoning Commission in early March and administrators believe Zoning Commission hearings will begin in May or June.

sdazio@theeagleonline.com