Fraternity rush time reduced, future bros will choose by Feb. 4

The Inter-Fraternity Council reduced the rush, or official recruitment, period for new members from three to two weeks this semester, moving rush events to weekends.

This change allows chapters to have more time to prepare for rush events, according to Matt Tweardy, IFC recruitment chair.

Rush officially began with “Meet the Greeks” on Jan. 23 and ends when bids are given out on Feb. 4.

“Meet the Greeks” is a fair with representatives from all AU fraternities that allows students to interact and meet fraternity brothers.

The shorter rush period allows new member education to start sooner, said Tom Marro, IFC president. Potential brothers learn about their respective fraternities’ history, rules and traditions during new member education.

This allows new members to feel like a part of the fraternity sooner, according to Marro.

But rush events are more crammed this semester, Marro said. Those choosing to rush will have less time between events, especially if they plan on attending events for multiple fraternities.

In past semesters, there was one open rush event the first week, a second open rush event the second week and a closed event the third week. Any prospective new member can attend an open event, while closed events are by invitation only.

But this semester, two open events will occur the first week and one closed event the second week. Rush events will be held on the weekends because of the shortened time period, according to Marro.

Curtis Burrill, coordinator of fraternity and sorority life, believes the shortened rush period will improve the retention of potential new members.

Over 200 male students are currently registered to participate in IFC recruitment this semester, according to Burrill.

Marro is doubtful that this will affect the number of students participating in the rush process.

“We might even get more [new members],” he said.

ascalamogna@theeagleonline.com