Asian Flavors to open soon, McDonald’s will close within a year

After countless early-morning McMuffins and late-night McFlurries, the golden arches are no longer lovin’ AU. McDonald’s will close once its 10-year lease expires Dec. 31, according to Dave Courter, director of auxiliary services.

Though Courter said the AU location does not have enough customer volume to support itself based on McDonald’s financial criteria, a spokesperson for the McDonald’s Corporation said there was no specific reason for their decision to close this location.

The University is looking for a nationally recognizable or regionally branded food operation, Courter said. Criteria for the new restaurant include operating hours and a price range that are similar to McDonald’s. Courter said no negotiations have started yet, but franchises are interested in the 10-year lease. “We have contacted over a dozen companies so far,” he said. “At least half have looked at the floor plan … and come over and looked at the space.” Courter said he hopes to identify which companies will enter negotiations by the end of March.

If multiple choices exist at the end of negotiations, a dining services team composed of students, faculty and staff will make the final decision. Once a new tenant is confirmed, Auxiliary Services will set an official closing date with McDonald’s.

Courter believes the university can avoid future delays by finding a new tenant before McDonald’s closes, minimizing the time between occupancies. Asian Flavors will open within the next two weeks, according to Courter. Tom Gera, owner of Asian Flavors, expected to obtain the occupancy certificate this week, after the final inspection. Gera also owns Megabytes, the American Cafe and the Katzen Café.

“This is a matter of days,” Courter said. “What’s left is not time-consuming.” Asian Flavors did not meet its goal of opening before Thanksgiving due to delays in equipment installation, Courter said. The restaurant, which will occupy the space between TIGI Boutique and the UPS Store, began construction early last summer. “There have been a lot of delays in it,” Courter said. “[Gera’s] anxious to be open, we’re anxious to get it open.” Asian Flavors will serve Chinese, Thai and Mongolian food cooked fresh in front of customers to allow them to choose what goes into each dish, Gera said.

rkaras@theeagleonline.com