Kerwin makes over $700k in 2008

AU President Neil Kerwin made $760,774 in 2008, according to an Internal Revenue Service form filed by the University.

But that number isn’t just Kerwin’s base salary. It also includes deferred compensation that won’t be paid out now, health benefits and other compensation, according to University Spokeswoman Camille Lepre.

Kerwin’s base compensation was $480,609, according the IRS form, known as form 990.

The Chronicle of Higher Education reported in November 2009 that Kerwin’s compensation was $1.4 million in 2007, though his salary was less than $600,000, The Eagle previously reported.

The Board of Trustees decides Kerwin’s salary and overall compensation, Lepre said.

After Kerwin, Donald Myers, vice president of finance and treasurer, had the next highest compensation in 2008, at $608,295, according to form 990. Myers has been at AU since 1968.

Thirty private college presidents were compensated over $1 million in 2008, according this year’s Chronicle report. Last year’s report found 23 million-dollar presidents, often the result of deferred compensation.

Southern Methodist University’s president, R. Gerald Turner, earned $2,774,000 in 2008, the highest of any sitting private college president.

The report also looked at other D.C. schools.

George Washington University’s president, Steven Knapp, made $958,353. John DeGioia of Georgetown University made $911,613. Howard University’s president, Sidney Ribeau, made $307,498.

The form also said AU’s Robert Tobias made $297,323 in 2008 as a public administration distinguished practitioner in residence.

A distinguished practitioner in residence rank is given to faculty who come to AU after a government career, according to School of Public Affairs Dean William LeoGrande.

Tobias is the director of SPA’s Key Executive Leadership Programs, in addition to teaching in the Department of Public Administration and Policy. The program awards master’s degrees and non-degree certificates in public administration to mid-career executives looking to move up to high senior management positions.

LeoGrande said this number isn’t Tobias’ salary either.

“What he gets in his paycheck is nowhere near that,” he said.

sdazio@theeagleonline.com