Deon Jones faces write-in challenge for South side ANC seat

Martha Holland of Rockwood Parkway ran as a write-in candidate for the same Advisory Neighborhood Commission seat as freshman Deon Jones.

Holland, a 15-year resident of this area, ran to fill the seat for Single Member District 3D 07. The seat has been vacant for years.

“[Jones’] running was not a factor in my running,” Holland said. “I ran to fill the seat because there’s some important things coming before the ANC district,” Holland said.

A total of 23 write-in votes were cast at the Metropolitan Memorial United Methodist Church (Precinct 9) polling station.

Electronic ballot results report two votes for Holland and one vote for Jones.

Holland said Jones came to her door to campaign. She called him a “high achiever” and said he seemed very willing to listen.

“He may do a wonderful job,” she said. “I don’t think he has any understanding of what it’s like to live here though.”

Holland said her main concerns include AU’s Campus Plan, the number of deer in the neighborhood and local burglaries.

She said she realizes AU needs more dorms, but not necessarily large buildings on the edge of campus. She believes a compromise can be worked out.

Holland said she would work with students to find out what concerns they have.

She said she has never had any problems with the AU community.

“I’ve never had any interaction that was negative with either the school itself or the students individually.”

Both Jones and Holland said they would work with each other, regardless of the election’s outcome.