Women's soccer’s weekend includes win, tie

The AU women’s soccer team beat the College of the Holy Cross 1-0 Friday and then tied the United States Military Academy in double overtime this Sunday.

The win marks the third time in the last four years the Eagles have beaten Holy Cross.

The lone goal came unassisted off the foot of senior midfielder Kendra Jones. Sophomore midfielder Michelle Montilio led the Eagles with two shots (one on goal) while Jones, junior midfielder Allison Slattery and sophomore forward Jasmine Mohandesi each contributed one shot. The Eagles were outshot 7-5 by Holy Cross. AU goalie Lindsey Farthing stopped all three Holy Cross shots on goal.

Jones’ shot was set up when freshman Katarina Kingston made an aggressive move in the Holy Cross zone resulting in a foul. Jones took the free kick and attempted a 25-yard shot, which was blocked by Holy Cross. However, the ball bounced right to Jones who took her own rebound and put it into the Holy Cross net in the 67th minute.

“We worked really hard for the victory tonight, and I thought we defended extremely well,” Head Coach Dave Bucciero told AU Athletics. “After Kendra gave us the goal, we had to really hang onto the lead for the last 25 minutes. I’m proud of the way we were able manage the game and come out with the victory.”

In the Eagles’ Sunday game, they played to a 0-0 draw in double overtime against the Patriot League leading Army Black Knights. The tie marked the Eagles first draw of the season.

AU had an excellent performance from goalie Lindsey Farthing who played the whole game. In addition, Farthing is currently riding a two game shutout streak. The shutout is Farthing’s third shutout of the season. The Eagles tallied four shots, only one of which was on goal. The Black Knights took sixteen shots but only five were on goal. The Eagles’ four shots is the second lowest shot total on the year. AU did not play a particularly disciplined game, as they committed 16 fouls in the game.

Farthing began the season second in line to Arianna Efstathiou, but Farthing has been starting recently. In eight games this year Farthing has posted a 1.62 goals against average and a .744 save percentage.

After starting out the year with eight straight losses, the Eagles have bounced back by winning five of their last seven games. The Eagles are 1-1-1 against Patriot League opponents this season.

AU continues its season this weekend with more conference play against Colgate University on Sunday Oct. 17 at Reeves Field.