TKE wins Up 'til Dawn letter writing contest

Tau Kappa Epsilon won a competition for letter writing on behalf of St. Jude’s Children’s Hospital at this year’s Up ‘til Dawn event on Friday night.

The six-member TKE team was one of 24 teams who wrote a total of 1,600 letters at the event, according to a press release about the event.

Up ‘til Dawn was held from 7 p.m. to 2 a.m. on Friday night. All 300 participants were entered in a contest to win a $500 shopping spree.

Participants who brought in addresses for up to 50 people to whom they would write on behalf of St. Jude’s were automatically entered to win a 64G Apple iPad, according to the press release.

Carol Cummings, the executive director of Up ‘til Dawn and academic division coordinator in the School of Communication, said she hopes the participating students would enjoy letter-writing for a good cause.

“The idea is to sacrifice a night of sleep in honor of the 5,000 young cancer patients currently receiving care from St. Jude,” she said.

This year’s Up ‘til Dawn event was Halloween-themed. Prizes were awarded for best costumes in the male, female and team categories.

jryan@theeagleonline.com