SmarTrip cards to be sold at Campus Store

AU and the Washington Metropolitan Transit Authority are expected to approve a contract this week to install a machine to refill SmarTrip cards in the AU Campus Store, according to Metro Information Specialist Angela Gates.

With this machine, students will be able to replenish their SmarTrip balances on campus, starting sometime in late October or early November, according to AU Campus Store Director Kristi Col.

“It’s a small device, a flat pad, and they just lay it on top of our counter and the cashier would ring it up like they do anything else,” Cole said.

WMATA will send a team to train campus store employees to use this as the installation date draws closer.

The reason for the installation of the Metro machine will create a more convenient way for students to add to the value on their SmarTrips, Cole said.

Although EagleBucks can be used to purchase items at the AU Campus Store, they cannot be used to add value to a SmarTrip card yet. Cole said she hopes to make this possible soon. In the meantime, students will be able to pay with all the standard forms of payment for the bookstore — cash, credit card, debit card and check.

AU will not have to pay for the machine or its installation.

The AU Campus Store will also begin selling SmarTrip cards with a preloaded value of $5 starting Oct. 18. Cole said they will continue to sell these cards throughout the year after the machine is installed.