SG adds four new departments, eliminates one

The Student Government is restructuring its departments this year in an effort to boost internal collaboration and increase its scope.

This year, four new departments — the Departments of Military Affairs; the Initiative to Discover, Advocate, and Empower for Students (IDEAS); Alumni Relations and the Community Service Coalition — have been created.

The new departments will address needs of the AU community that have not been addressed by the SG before, SG President Nate Bronstein said.

“These [new departments] are for areas where we’ve just realized that were not working or just didn’t have specific people working on,” Bronstein said.

Bronstein said that expansion is not something to fear.

“It is because of these new departments that we will be able to complete our overarching goals better than ever,” Bronstein said in an e-mail.

Departments and the SG cabinet meet regularly, giving suggestions and asking for advice about programming, Bronstein said.

The Department of Unity and Spirit has also been replaced with a more effective structure in the incorporation of the Blue Crew into the SG, Bronstein said.

At the end of last semester, the departments of communications, social media and marketing were consolidated into one all-encompassing communications department.

All of these changes are due to a shift in organization that comes with every new group of SG executives each academic year.

“Each year there is a new set of leadership and with that comes a new way of structuring the organization to accomplish the different goals that we have,” said SG Secretary Kent Hiebel.

amooney@theeagleonline.com