AU nominated for vegan-friendly college contest

AU is in the running for a PETA-sponsored competition, the Most Vegan-Friendly Colleges this year.

Peta2, the youth division of PETA, will decide on the winner of their fifth annual vegan-friendly college competition through online voting, and the winner will be announced Nov. 19, according to a peta2 press release.

AU will run in the “small schools category” with 31 other schools, alongside the “large school” category with 32 schools and the “Canadian schools” category with 16 schools.

The first round of voting will be open until Oct. 18, and the second round of voting will end on Nov. 19, according to peta2 Media Coordinator Shakira Croce.

She said AU was nominated for this competition because its food venues offer a wide variety of vegan-friendly entrees and desserts.

During the nomination process, representatives from peta2 looked at dining hall menus and evaluated feedback from students about their experiences in AU’s dining halls.

Possible winners will not be chosen strictly based on how many votes they get. Other factors like how receptive the school is to the expansion of vegan food options will also be important, Croce said.

AU came in second in last year’s competition, according to the peta2 press release.

jryan@theeagleonline.com