A Voice 4 U Field Director Stephen Bronskill, left, and ANC 3D 02 candidate Tyler Sadonis canvass the neighborhood Sunday afternoon.

ANC candidates canvass, rally support

Candidates for seats on Advisory Neighborhood Commission 3D 02 and 3D 07 canvassed the neighborhood Sunday to raise support for their campaign. They also spoke at the A Voice 4 U kick-off event and voter registration drive in the Woods-Brown Amphitheater.

Candidates Tyler Sadonis and Deon Jones, running for 3D 02 and 3D 07 respectively, used the events to meet local residents and members of the student body.

Canvassing

Sadonis and Jones went door to door in sections of their respective districts to introduce themselves to members of the community and ask residents about potential concerns.

There are approximately 302 houses in 3D 02 and about 20 in 3D 07, according to estimates from A Voice 4 U Field Director Stephen Bronskill.

Approximately 90 percent of residents in 3D 07 live in the South side dorms, according to Bronskill.

The A Voice 4 U campaign could not canvass door-to-door in the dorms because of restrictions in the Student Conduct Code that prohibit activity disrupting normal residence hall life.

Jones said he knocked on approximately 20 doors of neighborhood residents and talked to about 10 people.

During Sunday’s canvassing, Sadonis knocked on about 75 to 100 houses and talked to about 20 residents, Bronskill said.

Canvassing allowed Sadonis to see the potential of partnership and cooperation first-hand, he said.

“[The residents are] incredibly excited to have students representing them on the board,” Sadonis said in his speech Sunday evening.

Sunday’s round of canvassing was the first in a series of four canvassing events that will take place leading to the November election. Each event will target a different area of the district. The candidates will also canvass all the areas again during election week, according to Bronskill.

“The candidates will physically knock on each door twice before the election,” Bronskill said. “Every vote in the community is really two for us because it takes one from [current ANC 3D 02 commissioner] Tom Smith."

Both candidates said they felt residents received them positively during the canvassing.

“I got a lot of input about what it’s like to be a resident in the community,” Sadonis said.

Bronskill said the campaign had chosen candidates who can effectively connect with the residents.

“Win or lose, it’s important to start dialogue,” Bronskill said.

Voter registration event

After volunteers and candidates canvassed Sunday afternoon, the A Voice 4 U campaign held its first campaign event and voter registration drive with both candidates in the Woods-Brown Amphitheater.

The event also included remarks from former AU Student Government President Andy MacCracken and A Voice 4 U campaign members, as well as performances by the a cappella group Dime a Dozen and two other musical groups.

At least 100 people have given up the ability to vote in their home states in order to register as a D.C. voter and participate in the ANC election, according to Bronskill.

In a speech, he refuted those who say AU students are apathetic.

“We don’t care? … We have always cared,” Bronskill said. “This is our community too.”

Sadonis says he aims to bridge the division between students and area residents.

“We can … expand and improve housing without turning a blind eye on the community,” he said. “This is an exciting moment … to do great things.”

Jones believes that as the most politically active university and five-time largest AIDS Walk D.C. team, AU is ready to meet the challenge of speaking for itself on the commission.

Jones says the time has come to promote common bonds, build bridges and perfect the community as involved citizens.

“Today, we have the chances of facing these campus and community problems together, as one body,” Jones said. “This campaign must be about restoring our sense of purpose in this community. And, few obstacles can withstand the voices of hundreds of young people calling for change.”